Carbon Monoxide

Silence isn’t always golden, especially when it comes to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. When power outages occur after severe weather, such as winter storms, using alternative sources of power can cause CO to build-up and poison the people and animals inside. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Carbon monoxide poses a serious threat to individuals both at home and on the job. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.


  • Burn charcoal indoors
  • Leave your car running in a garage or any poorly ventilated area
  • Heat your house with your stove- this can lead to a buildup of CO in your house
  • Use a generator inside your house.

Symptoms of CO Poisoning

  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

If you or people around you are experiencing these symptoms it is important to get them and yourself out of the area. Being exposed to CO for an extended amount of time can cause irreversible brain damage and eventually death.


Avoid the situations mentioned above. Have gas-burning appliances and heaters regularly inspected by a professional to ensure there are no issues with using them in the home. Install CO alarms on each floor of a building or home. Test the alarms at least once a month and replace them according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. People who are asleep or are intoxicated are very susceptible to CO poisoning and alarms are the only chance to alert them to danger before it is too late.

Discussion point:

-Has anyone experienced a problem with a carbon monoxide leak?